You will be in an altered state for many moons...

If your Achilles tendon is ruptured, torn, or even simply inflamed with tendonitis, your life is about to change. Mine sure has - so I decided to chronicle these events, and create a place for others to share their experiences, advice, resources and emotions during our journey toward recovery.

Nothing in this blog is meant to take the place of the medical advice of your physician. Follow the instructions of your medical professionals, not me.

Monday, October 18, 2010

11. Day 3 post op - Pillows, pillows everywhere, and not a drop of sleep

In order to achieve a modicum of comfort, you need this many pillows:

http://chichomeblog.com/page/2.aspx

Oh, I'm sorry - my bad.  You need THIS many pillows:


http://wayneandmarion.com/store/polyestergarnettedpillow.html


What - did I say you need 12 pillows to get comfortable?  Well, I was wrong - you need THIS many:

http://atelier29.blogspot.com/2008/06/pillows-sofa.html

Alrighty, then, I'm tired of this.  Time to get normal.  Time to sleep in my usual position without having to arrange 47 pillows around me.  Time to truly experience a day outside a meds induced fog.  Time to leap up, grab the car keys, jump in the car, open the sunroof, turn up Steve Miller's "Space Cowboy" and sing at the top of my lungs about the pompatus of love, on the way to the farmer's market to pick out the perfect pumpkin for my favorite holiday...Wait a minute, what's that throbbing?  Why does my foot feel like it weighs about 38 pounds and is a burning cinder?  Why do my toes feel like this:

http://www.grillsportverein.de/blog/2006/04/



Why am I laying on the sofa in the den instead of my bed?  And why am I awake at 3 am???

I'm dying of curiosity - what's going on under that splint and layers of gauze and bandage?  My foot is so hot and stiff - I'd love to just tear into this like it was Christmas morning and I was seven years old.  How long is the incision?  Is it straight or curved?  Is it healing correctly?  Inquiring minds want to know!

My foot wants AAAAIIIRRRR....and movement. 

I hate to tell anyone who's reading this the truth - but in case you haven't figured this out, after the first day, this bidness hurts like hell.  I've been reading a lot of similar blogs, and apparently this level of pain is perfectly normal.  I hate to be a big baby about it, but  I wonder if the doc can prescribe something stronger than extra strength Vicodin? 

One blog I read said something so true about pain relievers - it's not that they actually decrease a lot of the pain, it's that they simply make you not care as much that you are IN pain.  That's about right.


http://www.maidenwine.com/catalog_04_cd.html

OK, gotta get my mind off this.  Here's what I did yesterday to do so - I researched digital cameras online, bought a multi-regional DVD player so I could order British comedies that haven't been released on US formatted DVDs yet, and almost ordered some boots online (hope spring eternal).  Someone pry my debit card out of my hand!  I'll go broke like this.

At least the Saints won yesterday against Tampa Bay - so the day wasn't a complete loss.

I haven't braved the shower/bath thing again but it's inevitable today - my mother raised me to believe that if you don't take a bath at LEAST every other day, you will go straight to hell.  I'm already headed that way anyway because obviously I haven't made up my bed in days - and that's an unpardonable sin in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment